OMG Finishes

Saturday, March 28, 2015

A Finish

I am so happy with the way my wall hanging has turned out and it is now on my sewing room wall. That's a much better place than having the stitcheries 'hanging out' in a plastic bag.
These stitcheries are not mass produced so are 'quite rustic looking'. Please click on the photo to get a better look at them.When I loaded this top on the longarm I really didn't know how I was going to quilt it but then after reading so many posts about Quiltcon I decided to do straight lines, and once I started decided to mix up both horizontal and vertical lines. Initially I was using my ruler and trying to make the lines so straight but then decided that these stitcheries do not have a perfect look so decided to do the lines totally freehand. I wrote the name SAPA across the top, which is the place we were staying when I bought these stitcheries.
The bits of cotton hanging down are what those thin strips were tied around my wrist with, so I decided to leave them in. I did have problems with beading as I used a white batting and knew I should've used black, but I didn't have any at the time and thought it would be ok. You only notice it when up close so I'm not going to stress about it.
Some photos that shoe the stitcheries and quilting better-

A wonderful tribute to the Hmong women and their handwork. 

6 comments:

  1. Well done Marlen! The quilting is great, I really like the mix of vertical and horizontal lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, this is so lovely! Your quilting really adds texture, which totally suits this! and yes, I did wonder about those thin strips, nice to leave them in! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow they are gorgeous. Well done for getting them onto a wallhanging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you with the free hand lines!! That is amazing you're quilting really brings out the richness of the stitchery pieces - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done, both the stitchery pieces and your wall hanging. Be sure and put all the info about the history of those stitchery pieces, where they came from, how & when you acquired them, when you made the finished piece, etc. That will make it even more special to have the history of the piece with it for years to come. Maybe an envelope pocket whipped to the back with that info inside. I always am interested in the history of a piece especially if it is as interesting as yours.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and suggestions welcome

Marlene